Find Your Device for Installation Steps
You’ll find links to all your purchased books in your Smashwords Libary. There are two options for loading Smashwords ebook content to your Kindle or Kindle Fire:
1. USB Connection. Plug your Kindle into the USB slot (small rectangular slot) of your computer using the cable that came with your Kindle (the Kindle Fire doesn’t come standard with the USB cable, so you’ll need to obtain the cable separately, or, use the email option described in #2 below). When you attach your Kindle to your computer via the USB cable, it makes your Kindle appear as a hard drive on your computer. After you purchase the book, from the book’s book page click to download the “Kindle” .MOBI format. Next, navigate to where you see the Kindle show up as a hard drive on your computer. Next, just drop the book’s file (it should end in file name of .mobi) to the Kindle’s “documents” folder. Then disconnect the Kindle from your computer and the book will be ready to read. If you already downloaded the .MOBI file to your computer, here’s a helpful YouTube video that shows how to drag the file from your desktop to the Kindle’s documents folder:
2. Email the Ebook to Your Kindle Email Address: For both first generation Kindles and the newest Kindle Fire, you can email your Smashwords .mobi files to your Kindle email address. Amazon’s support page provides complete details.
To email files to first generation Kindles (Kindles other than the Kindle Fire)
For Kindle Fire only, How to set up your free Kindle email address, and how to load ebooks or email ebooks to your Kindle Fire using either the email or USB cable method.
- Plug your Sony Reader into your computer using the USB cable that came with your Reader. You’ll know the Sony Reader is connected when you see the Reader Library software pop up on your screen
- Go to your web browser, and click to the Smashwords Library where you can click to the book page for the book you want to download. Scroll down the page to the table of download options.
- Click to download the EPUB version
- Your browser should pop up a window asking if you want to open the file with the Reader software, or if you want to save the file.
- Select the save option, which will allow you to download it
- Next, navigate your system directory (PC users: Click My Computer), where you’ll see your Sony Reader appear as a hard drive labeled as READER: E (or some other letter), then click READER, then click the directory for Database, then click the directory for Books. This is where you’ll save the file. After you save the file there, wait about 30 seconds and then you can unplug the Reader from the USB cable and your book is ready to read.
Barnes & Noble is an authorized Smashwords retailer, so over 40,000 of the books you see at Smashwords are also for sale at B&N. For the nook, just attach the nook to your personal computer via the USB cable (makes it appear as a hard drive), and then download your books directly to your nook’s My Documents folder. B&N calls the process “sideloading.”
View a video on the process.